- Humans do not digest tomato skins
- Removing skins (peeling) them isn’t necessary … but a level of refinement (to the tooth…texture)
- Bring large pot of water to boil … no need to salt
- Core tomato before dropping into boiling water (blanching – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanching_(cooking))
- Have an ice water bath ready.
- Drop tomato into boiling water and shouldn’t take much more than 30 seconds to blanch…watch for parts of skin to separate and once this occurs remove from boiling water and put into ice water bath.
Once peeled, tomatoes can be used in many ways
- Drizzle with olive oil, vinegar, salt for salad
- Just slice
- Slice in have and squeeze to remove seeds
- Then dice/chop
- Add a bit of salt (helps release water)
- Place into strainer lined with cheese cloth and let moisture drain
- Add oil/vinegar to finish – appetizer/salad