why keep eternal timelines?
- many leave up our timeline of posts because Facebook and Twitter don’t make it simple to clean them up (goody for them to do analytics against)
- If you say something online, it has a different kind of permanence …”It’s always there to haunt you
web tools to eradicate the vast majority of my Facebook and Twitter posts
- though automated, the programs were flawed and missed many posts after several attempts
- can choose to delete tweets that are more than a week old
- takes a few minutes to delete large batches of your tweets
- major caveat: Because of a technical limitation, TweetDelete can delete only the last 3,200 tweets on your account (3200…WHAT A BIZARRE NUMBER…NOT BASE 10, NOT BASE 2??? WHAT SW ENGINEER CAME UP WITH THAT LIMIT?)
- Free add-on for Chrome web browser
- scrolled through my timeline and clicked on the “delete” button for each of my posts for me
- problem was, even after I used the app to scrub through my entire timeline six times, the tool missed posts.
- process was agonizing
- Facebook timeline was still decorated with posts that my friends had published about me…because that content was not mine to delete
a simpler approach… connect Facebook and Twitter accounts with the app Timehop. (this from EFF group…a shithole/communist group)
- Timehop every day surfaces photos and posts published from years past on Twitter and Facebook … uses the tool to incrementally audit… might not want lingering around
- Twitter did not respond to requests for comment. (can you expect more from the main app that supports Trumps fucking posts?)