I hesitated to post as this article close to ‘fluff’ … perhaps more of marketing item than real substance. But, the 50-qubit item certainly worthy of note.
- IBM announced a quantum computer that handles 50 quantum bits (10 November 2017)
- IBM, Google, Intel, and a San Francisco startup called Rigetti are all currently racing to build useful quantum systems
- does not mean quantum computing is ready for common use
- quantum state is preserved for 90 microseconds
- 50-qubit machine can do things that are extremely difficult to simulate without quantum technology (but the article FAILS to indicate what exactly these things are…wonderful)
- professor at the University of Maryland, points out that IBM has not published details of its system in a peer-reviewed journal